The Fourth Industrial Revolution and its Implications

In “The Bitter Heartland,” an essay in American Purpose, William Galston, a veteran of the Clinton White House and a senior fellow at Brookings, captures the forces at work in the lives of many of Trump’s most loyal backers:

Resentment is one of the most powerful forces in human life. Unleashing it is like splitting the atom; it creates enormous energy, which can lead to more honest discussions and long-delayed redress of grievances. It can also undermine personal relationships — and political regimes. Because its destructive potential is so great, it must be faced.

Korinek and Stiglitz argue that without radical reform of tax and redistribution politics, a “Malthusian destiny” of widespread technological unemployment and poverty may ensue.

Last bit of the article is a bit alarmist:

Humans, they write, “are able to apply their intelligence across a wide range of domains. This capacity is termed general intelligence. If A.I. reaches and surpasses human levels of general intelligence, a set of radically different considerations apply.” That moment, according to “the median estimate in the A.I. expert community is around 2040 to 2050.”

After going through some introductory machine learning education, I high doubt it.

Top comments very spicy:

There is no really any way to assuage the fear that white men are becoming less important, because it’s completely true. In that sense, the fear is perfectly well-founded. People who were formerly on top of the cultural hierarchy are seeing themselves lose their special status, and they react accordingly. There isn’t much to do about this besides outvote them and consign them to the dustbin of history, where their views belong.

I fail to understand why this resentment is not directed at industry, corporation, self-interested politicians, and upper-class whites. A low-waged immigrant poses much less danger to the white working class compared to this who are not contributing to better economic opportunities by being proponents of tax breaks, export of jobs, housing and education disparity.